Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Master Butchers Singing Club

I should have wrote this post weeks ago right after I read this book, but ya know. I really enjoyed reading it. I found this book in a thrift store outside of Minneapolis. I have wanted to read some Louise Erdrich for awhile now and just never got around to it.

Louise grew up in Wahpeton ND, which just happens to be the town where I lived for 14 years before moving to Breckenridge MN, Wahpeton's sister town. I graduated from high school in Wahpeton and we often times had Louise's father substitute teach for us. He was so wonderful and a great story teller. When I picture him now I can see him riding his bike wearing his hat. For some reason, I always think of the scene in Finding Forrester with Sean Connery.

Anyway, since Wikipedia does a much better summary I got this from their site. I really enjoyed this book.

The Master Butchers Singing Club is a 2003 novel by Louise Erdrich. It follows the life of Fidelis Waldvogel, his family, as well Delphine Watzka and her partner Cyprian, as they adjust in their separate lives in the small town of Argus, North Dakota. Bookended by World War I, which Fidelis and Cyprian fought in, and World War II, which Fidelis’ children fight in, the title contains several overarching themes including family, tradition, loss, betrayal, and memory, to name a few.

Much of The Master Butchers Singing Club revolves around the German American cultural tradition, which is part of Erdrich's personal heritage, though she is best known as a Native American novelist.

Check it out.

No comments:

Feeds