Tuesday, February 2, 2010

4-H Corn Special Casserole

Ok, so I am not sure why this one sounded good today because normally I would never try something like this. But, the only thing in the freezer is ground beef and chicken breasts. So, since yesterday was chicken, I figured I would look for a recipe for the beef. I found this one. Ryan really liked it and I thought it was pretty good.

Tomorrow or Thursday, I think I may wrap it up the left overs in tortillas, bake in the convection oven and then add sour cream to the top. I couldn't live with out my little convection oven.

Many of the reviews for this recipe said to double the Worcestershire sauce and the hot sauce (I used Franks). I doubled these and actually added just a tad more hot sauce. And I used canned diced tomatoes. I didn't have fresh on hand and I knew my boys would prefer the canned anyway. They are softer.


4-H Corn Special Recipe

4-H Corn Special

By: Donetta Brunner
"Donetta Brunner of Savanna, Illinois traces this hearty main dish back to a 4-H cooking project. 'I liked the recipe immediately, and it has traveled through the years with me to become a favorite with my children and husband, too. The only change I've made to the original is to add extra seasonings.'"
Prep Time:
15 Min
Cook Time:
30 Min
Ready In:
45 Min

Original Recipe Yield 6 servings

Ingredients

  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
  • 2 cups seeded, chopped fresh tomatoes
  • 2 cups fresh, frozen or canned sweet corn
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
  • 1 cup crushed saltine crackers
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted

Directions

  1. In a large skillet, brown beef and onion; drain. Stir in rice, tomatoes, corn, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Combine cracker crumbs and butter; sprinkle on top. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Feeds