Monday, February 8, 2010

The Art Box


Nicole is hosting this weekly activity over at Tired, Need Sleep. All you
need to do is fill a box full of crafty stuff and leave it out for your kiddo to use all week.
Let them create
whatever they want.

This week our box had paints, both water color and tempera. Homemade paint made with salt, flour and water (Nicole's idea, thanks lady), toilet paper tubes and stickers. I seem to be lacking ideas for our box since most of our craft supplies are in storage.

Our homemade paint. Nicole said it works well if you put the paint in a bottle. I looked for some plastic ketchup/mustard bottles at the Dollar Tree but, I couldn't find any. So, we cut the tip off a baggie but, I cut the tip too big and it just blobbed. Johnsie still had fun though.

Nicole also gave me the idea to do some crayon resist. We haven't done it in forever and Johnsie loved it. It was his idea to write the alphabet. After this we did pages and pages of hearts using the same technique.


Painting the tubes. Notice my fingers. Johnsie didn't want to get dirty so, he had me hold the tube. Stinker.

I am going to put these back in the box. He said he wanted to make a smiley face with them. We will see what he comes up with.



5 comments:

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

Wow, very creative week! I love that you had to be the tp roll holder, lol. The salt and flour paint is supposed to be puffy... I've never tried it (sorry for making your try it first), but thought it sounded like fun. It doesn't really look puffy though, does it? Hmmm. I may need to take a second look at the recipe. Glad everyone had fun, love the ABC resist painting. :)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Haha - Johnsie is definitely good at delegating. I have to try this crayon resist one of these days - I tried it with water colors once, but the water colors were so bad that it didn't really work out.

Angie said...

Fun...we love to paint!

Lisa @ Our Country Road said...

I loved doing resist painting as a kid, great idea!

Being us... said...

My little guy would love this. we have been snowed in for 7 days so I have posted a lot of the crafts we have done over at my blog, but this will be added to my "to do list". thanks!

Feeds