Thursday, October 29, 2009

Experimenting with Sugar

I have been busy packing up the house and I happened upon this box of sugar cubes. I think they are left overs from a school project N did a few years ago. Not wanting to pack them for NY and not wanting to throw them away either, I decided that D and I should experiment with them.

First, we got a cup of hot water and a cup of cold water with ice cubes.

Then we dropped in the sugar cubes to see in which one the cubes would dissolve fastest. D loved watching the cube fall apart. The hot water won by a land/sugar slide.

We then looked at the sugar crystals with a magnifying glass.

Of course, we had to try a sample.

Yum!

We then did some construction and demolition.

Finally, we kept adding cubes until the water was saturated and couldn't hold any more sugar. He liked the looks of the water because it almost gets a greasy look when this happens.


Of course, we had to sample the water too. He wasn't happy with me when I took it away. Maybe our next lesson needs to be about healthy teeth.

No comments:

Feeds