Thursday, August 20, 2009

Picnic Table Talk

picnic button

This week's Picnic Table Talk from the ladies at ABC and 123 is all about SNACKS!

What easy snacks do you pack for your family?
What nutritious snacks do your children most enjoy?
Do you have any creative tricks for encouraging healthy snacking in your home?
What do you use to pack your snacks in?
Does your child's school have specific requirements for healthy snacks?

I just posted the recipe for our favorite snack, Homemade Granola Bars.

My kids eat a lot of snacks. What kid doesn't? We aren't the most healthiest of eaters and I am trying to remedy that. In our snack drawer right now you can find cookies, chips, crackers, popcorn, pretzels and fruit snacks. I really don't buy a lot of chips. The ones we have are left over from our trip to the lake. However, cookies are a staple. Hubby loves them.

When I make homemade cookies I always use wheat flour and add a little ground flax. I seem to add flax to everything I can. We made banana muffins the other day and of course I added a little flax.

We also always have several varieties of fruit in the house. My daughter loves fruit and will choose it as a snack before anything else. Her favorite is lemons. Go figure.

Since our garden is in full swing right now the kids have been eating a lot of carrots and sliced cucs. And in the Fall when our apples are ready they will eat a few apples a day. They love to just run out and grab one. I also always make applesauce to can, which we eat throughout the year.
I do store all my homemade granola bars in snack size ziplocs. I know I am not being very green but I haven't found a better way to do it.

No comments:

Feeds