Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Family Rules

Here is another thing I had to jump on the band wagon with. I have seen these family rules signs all over the blogosphere and I wanted to make one right after I saw my first one.

I was finally able to sit down today and make mine. The most recent one I saw was made by Gail over at My Repurposed Life. She gives step by step instructions on how to make Gail‘s Family Rules on her blog.

I am not that nice. I will just tell you that I painted a scrap piece of wood I had sitting around in the garage. It was already routed because it was a piece that Ryan was playing with when he first got his router years ago.

I made a list of all of the rules I wanted and I got out my handy dandy cricut and cut away. Some of the rules did get cut out a couple of times because I made them too long. Glad I had a whole new stack of black cardstock next to me.

Then I just eyeballed the rules to center them. I wasn't going for perfection. No levels or rulers were used in this process. Mod podge was, however, used in this process. I took each letter and covered the back with my good ole mod podge and when I was all done I covered the whole thing with a layer too.

Here it is hanging in my kitchen for all to see and FOLLOW. I did try to use rules that were positive. I thought about, "chewing with your mouth closed" (Chickie!!). She would actually leave the table during dinner when her brother was eating too loud. Just you wait lady.

Anyway, I did see a lot of signs that had negative rules like, no whining, no ball in the house, etc. I wanted our rules to be constructive.

Now let's hope everyone follows them!

15 comments:

gail@myrepurposedlife.net said...

Hey! thanks for the shout out! I appreciate it when people are inspired by something I do and let me know it!
I love the way yours turned out. Ohhh how I want a cutting machine! Maybe the silhouette people will choose me for a giveaway soon!
anyway, I was a teacher for 19 years, (pre-k) so I know all about being positive! Glad you took that route.

I will feature your sign Saturday on my regular feature (recent comments & questions)
gail

Nancy said...

I LOVE it! It's so neat and you made it sound so easy! If I had a cricut and children who follow my rules, I'd make one! (lol, my kids are grown, but I still make them take their shoes off before coming in the house!!)

I like your idea of being positive. That's great!

Nancy

Debbie said...

That is awesome, and really nice to give the shout out..too many times gals don't, and I just think it is polite as well...when you can remember who you copies anyhow. Thanks for popping over...did you enter the giveaway? Hope so...

Raising a Happy Child said...

I found your family rules very inspirational. I am not that crafty, but maybe my hubby will be interested to, first, come up with them and then make them somehow :)

Ticia said...

pretty! I keep thinking about doing something like this, but haven't followed through yet.

Angie S said...

I love it! It looks great...I really should do this too. Such a fun idea.

Maggie said...

I'm seeing these everywhere and love them!!! You did a great job.

Cap Creations said...

I so love the idea of these family rules boards. And having them on display for all to see! Yours looks great!

Stopping by from new friend friday!
Come say hi sometime!

Julie Jabbers said...

I love this! You are very talented and creative. I'm over from NFF. I will follow. I have a sign in our eating area "Less Attitude More Gratitude" i bought the framed sign, it had my kids name all over it!
http://www.juliehjabbers.blogspot.com

Judy said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Im now following your blog. You have a nice blog. Have a wonderful and blessed weekend.

Sabrina said...

Great rules chart....love the fonts. And I give you a pat on the back for dealing with those creepy crawlies in your house! Ha!

kristin renee said...

Oh how cool! I love this idea!!! How did you make the words?

Brooke G. said...

I love the black and white look of yours! This is an awesome idea :D

Katie said...

LOVE that!!!

And, I'm also one who is easily annoyed with other's loud eating habits :)

mom2marbles said...

LOVE it! i have a cricket cutter and never would have thought to use it for this! adorable.

Feeds